Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday Gourmet

Well I am not sure if you can call it gourmet but it sure was good. On Sunday, we came home after Hayze's hockey game ( they were defeated 6-4) and had brunch. I made a triple stack of pancakes made from my new pancake molds I got a Williams and Sonoma.
These molds make a hollow centre when stacked so that you are able to
fill them with whatever topping of filling that you desire. I put warmed up apple pie filling in ours and let it over flow on top. I then put grated old cheddar cheese on top, I loved the sharp taste with the sweet.. Kids didn't have the same feelings about the cheese.
A couple of things to consider when doing something like this. I think metal cookie cutters would work to make shapes. You would just need tongs to remove them prior to flipping.
Key tricks, batter has to be quite runny, molds have to be hot prior to pouring batter in to them and they need to be greased well in between each pancake. Pam works great.
I used one pan just to keep the molds hot in between.. I wish I had a large griddle so I could cook all three at once rather than one at a time. These ended up being a long process and my kitchen actually looked like a bomb went off before I was done.
It all ended well and they were excellent. We all loved them and they are on our list to try again.
We serve sausage with them.. got me thinking you could just put the sausage in the middle and pour your syrup right on top. Kind of gives new meaning to "pigs in a blanket"

My helper.. like I mentioned the kitchen took a beating this morning.. I was prepping for this
potato soup, and making brunch at the same time. Destiny was a great help at keeping us on top of the dishes because when we finished the soup, we started making her cupcakes for her birthday.. Which is tomorrow. I hope to send cupcakes to school for her and then bake a separate cake for her party on Friday. Please, please try the recipe for potato soup on Amy's blog. It is so good.. I called it "potato skin soup".. It tastes just like them and it is so nummy..
Destiny trying to beat the winter weather. I think we have all had enough of this cold.

She looks so cute in her Hawaiian outfit..
To bad we are going to Honduras for our vacation..!!..
I am sure they will let her were it if she wants to..
I realized today that I never shared with you the "Santa Hats" that I made for Destiny's Christmas ringette party. They turned out adorable and I wanted to show them off..
I got the idea from here
We had so much fun making them. I did however have the dilemma of how to make them stand up. We didn't have any styro foam and Jim couldn't find any in town so after the kids hands were full of sticks I got the bright idea to use a 2x4. Hayze drilled the holes for me and we were lucky enough to get the perfect size drill bit and they stood up nicely.. The girls loved them and ate every last one.

No comments: