Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Time to Reflect


I am off to Saskatchewan tonight for a funeral.  That is never something I want to do obviously. But I am looking forward to seeing my family and extended family that I rarely get to see except for the odd wedding and funerals.   
My dear Aunt P.K passed away this month and I will miss her dearly.  She was my neighbor growing up and a vital part of who I have become as an adult.  She loved to create, may it be cooking, decorating, sewing, knitting, ceramics, music, gardening and trying new things like the 3d cut and paste craft she did when I was a kid.. you know the stuff that you varnish? I was fascinated with that when she finished that course. (if you know what it is called please leave a comment)  
My own mom had different interests than those of auntie Phyllis so I was lucky to have her next door so that I could also learn new things from her too.  Auntie taught me how to crochet at a very young age (sorry if you were at the receiving end of any of those projects) she gave me the love of crafting, and trying new things.
I in recent years have learned to love the kitchen too, and have on a few occasions been able to gets some tips  from auntie on how to make things just right.  She was always ready to give her advice on anything.  Even on my last visit I  learned how to look after my rose bushes properly.  
I am going to miss her dearly, she was a great person and a loving aunt.
After the kids went to bed last night, I took the time to bake and do some thinking,  I find after I lose someone in my life they are in the forefront of my thoughts almost constantly..  So last night was a great time to reflect and just bake while the kids were fast a sleep.  It was a beautiful time for me.  
I made these:


Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes with
Swiss Meringue Buttercream.


Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes
Makes: 36
• 3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
• 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2 1/4 cups sugar
• 5 large whole eggs plus 3 egg yolks, room temperature
• 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium. Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add yolks and beat until thoroughly combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and beating until combined after each. Beat in vanilla.
Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 10 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting 
Makes: About 5 cups
• 5 large egg whites
• 1 up plus 2 tablespoons sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature
• 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Combine egg whites, sugar and salt in the heatproof bowl of a standing mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly by hand until mixture is warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved (the mixture should feel completely smooth when rubbed between your fingertips).
Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Starting on low and gradually increasing to medium-high speed, whisk until still (but not dry) peaks form. Continue mixing until the mixture is fluffy and glossy, and completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl), about 10 minutes.
With mixer on medium-low speed, add the butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Once all butter has been added, whisk in vanilla. Switch to the paddle attachment, and continue beating on low speed until all air bubbles are eliminated, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl with a flexible spatula, and continue beating until the frosting is completely smooth. Keep buttercream at room temperature if using the same day, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month. When ready to use, bring to room temperature and beat with paddle attachment on low speed until smooth again, about 5 minutes.

5 comments:

carolbcool said...

My prayers and thoughts with you on the loss of your Aunt...the craft that she was doing was decoupage...the new puupy is cute...love to Destiny and all...and love your cupcakes...you are so talented..lovely pictures of everything as well...

TANYA said...

said it once and will repeat...I LOVE YOUR ICING!
plus like always the cupcakes look too good to even eat....but we do and they taste good too!!

so a lady just asked me "so what is with the door?" commenting on my rusted closet door garden ornament!!!
whats with the door??? are you kidding me right now??
whats with the door...what about bob's?

Julia said...

I wish I could make something that looks so lovely

Mar said...

they tasted as good as they looked!

Cheryl said...

Hey Twink....I'm giggling....I see Marlene commented on your blog, as will I....so you can see we take you & your cupcakes very seriously! I found them a little dry, but maybe it was me....kidding...they were fabulous, just like the cook!
Tee hee....