Wednesday, December 17, 2008

An old project, turned new.

Well you might remember this project from early June. It took me awhile to complete but prior to my surgery I wanted to get it done and out of the basement and up into our sitting room.
I am actually very proud of how it turned out considering it took me 6 months to get motivated about it. The day I decided to finish it the kids and I went to Home Depot picked up all the paint, sand paper and molding I needed. Yes that is right I said molding. I cut it, attached it, ,painted and stained it all my self. (proud moment for me). Take not from the original pictures. The molding I put on top adds a lot to it. Right now it is full of Christmas pictures and decorations but when the season is over I am going to put some velvet print wall paper in tonal colors on the back. It will lighten it up a lot.

Can you see the crackle, Destiny helped me apply the crackle paint in a few spots after the first coat of paint. Then I painted over it to get this effect. I don't think you would want it all over but it does sure add a nice "aged" effect once I added the antique stain (brown) at the end. I then sanded those areas smooth and this is the final effect. I soaked the hardware in a solvent to get the paint off and they returned to their original form.
I now love this old cupboard, if only I could do something to get rid of the "old" smell when I open the doors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Crys - I love the cabinet!! Every once and a while when I get a free minute I come on to your blog to catch up and see how you guys are doing. Apparantly I haven't been on for quite some time because there were a few things I didn't know. 1) that you had surgery..2) you got a new dog.

I just wanted to drop you a quick line to wish all of you a Very Merry Xmas. I hope that 2009 brings everything you and your family were hoping for.

Do you want to know what I wish for in 2009?? #1) That my Ex - Husband finally signs the divorce papers..and 2). That I no longer have him for a neighbor across the street..guess it's pretty cold living in the horse trailer this winter so he's got to have some place to stay right?? GAG!!
I just want it all over with and finished.

It's too bad we werent able to catch up when I saw you guys in town a couple weeks ago. Typical sign of the times - that we are all pulled in 52 different directions.

Anyway - Love to you all!! Maybe one of these days we can make some plans to get together.
xoxoxo Con